Now that things are getting busy, sometimes it is simply more convenient to buy a bar. But as I am living on a super-tight academic’s budget, I simply cannot afford to buy protein bars any more. Instead, I spent the last couple of weeks experimenting with different recipes to try to replicate the flavors of almond butter protein bars. Finally, I think I’m there.
Almond Butter Protein Bars (GF)
- 3/4 c non-fat milk powder
- 1/2 c egg white protein powder (unflavored)
- 1 c Almond Butter (use crunchy)
- 1/2 c Peanut Butter (creamy)
- 1/4 c honey (or more to taste)
- 2 T sesame seeds
- Combine the peanut butter, almond butter, and honey in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to a boil and then immediately remove from heat.
- Add the milk powder and egg white powder, mix until the protein powder is completely dissolved into the nut butter. If the protein powder does not dissolve readily, add a small amount of water (but don’t add to much, this should be a very stiff dough) just so every ingredient is well-combined.
- Add the chopped almonds and mix until evenly distributed.
- Place into a greased 8×8 cake pan and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
- Chill for 8 hours or until a bar-like consistency. Cut into bars.
These will last for a week or two in the fridge, but you can also portion these and freeze individually – and they’ll last a few months that way! To make these vegan, use brown rice syrup and vegan protein powder. You can also add in up a cup of dried fruit, nuts, or rice cereal crips. Just add those after completely blending in the protein powders (you made need to add honey or syrup so the mixture isn’t too dry).