Every year for my birthday, I request the same cake. I’m not sure exactly how far back this goes, but at least since high school, and probably earlier. That is, if you’re counting, at least 20 years asking for the same exact cake year after year. When I found out I had Celiac’s Disease, I thought this meant the end of my favorite birthday cake.
In the spirit of complete disclosure, I pretty much thought this was the end of enjoying food, too, but that’s another story for another day. But eventually, with my mother’s help, we figured out how to make this gluten-free.
And I still loved it. It is my favorite dessert and preferred birthday treat.
Apple-cinnamon raisin cake (GF)
Serves: 12 large pieces
- 1 c buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 c pamela’s baking mix (or 1 1/2 c brown rice flour and xantham gum)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 c canola oil
- 2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 c raisins
- 1/2 c chopped walnuts