These muffins are delicious and filling. We love eating them and hope you do too.
GLUTEN FREE BLUEBERRY MUFFINS
1 1/2 cups oat our OR rolled oats processed in a food processor into a
flour consistency (see below)
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted and cooled (substitute butter if desired)
1 cup milk (non dairy milk, for dairy-free), room temperature
1 egg, room temperature (with egg substitute these can be vegan)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries (we use thawed from frozen most of the year)
1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
2. To make the oat flour, place 1 1/2 cups rolled oats in a food processor
and process until it is very fine. (Note: Do NOT try this with steel cut
oats, as they are a very different texture from rolled oats!)
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the oat flour, oats, nutmeg,
cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, and kosher salt.
4. Melt and cool the coconut oil. Bring the milk and egg to room
temperature (so that the coconut oil does not turn solid when mixing). In another bowl, mix together the milk, egg, maple syrup, and vanilla,
then gradually whisk in the coconut oil.
5. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until smooth. Allow to sit for 10 minutes while the oats rehydrate.
6. After 10 minutes, gently fold in the blueberries to the batter. Then use a 1/4 cup measure to spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
7. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until puffed and golden.