Do you know what plantains are? Have you seen this strange looking banana in the supermarket and wondered how to cook it? What do people even do with plantains? Well you could steam it, boil it or fry it. If like me; you like to experiment in the kitchen I recommend making plantain croutons.
Plantains croutons are sweet, crunchy, golden cubes that are perfect on top of a salad. They are easy to make ahead of time and throw on a salad. They are also great as a snack- syrupy nuggets of goodness.
You will need:
- Ripe plantains
- 2 tbsp oil of your choice
- Cinnamon (optional)
How to make them:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the plantains in half lengthwise then half again so that it is in quarters lengthwise.
- Now chop the plantain strips so you end up with “cubes”.
- Drizzle the oil over the plantain and toss to get them coated.
- Spread the plantain on a cookie sheet or baking tray making sure not to crowd them.
- If you would like, sprinkle some cinnamon over the top.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Enjoy warm or store to use later.